Sat. Oct 1st, 2022

Almost every profession requires some sort of continuing education to be completed by any individual licensed in that industry. For instance, insurance, real estate, legal, and mortgage are all industries that require their agents to complete a required number of continuing education courses every 1-2 years. Typically, education can be completed either online or in a classroom. You must check with your state to determine what type of continuing education is required, how many credit hours are required, and by what date they must be completed by.

Today we are going to talk about some of the different state requirements in the insurance industry. Each state is governed by a different accrediting agency. Usually the department of insurance in each state regulates the insurance and financial industry. So the Ohio Department of Insurance would regulate the rules and regulations one must abide by in the state of Ohio. So if a licensed insurance agent living in Ohio wants to know how many credit hours he needs to fulfill his requirements, the Ohio Department of Insurance is who he would need to contact.

Each state is a little different. Some require an agent to complete their courses in a classroom while other states allow online courses. The credit requirement and compliance deadline also differ. California for example, requires their insurance agents to complete their continuing education every two years by the end of the month they were licensed. While Florida on the other hand requires their agent’s continuing education to be completed by the end of their birth month every two years. It is very important to stay current with your education. Each state can and will impose some type fine if you are late completing your continuing education.

The other major differences between states are the courses an agent must take. Ohio insurance for example, requires all of their insurance agents to complete at least three hours of ethics either online or in a classroom. On the other hand, California requires their agents to take at least four hours in ethics, four hours in annuities, and eight hours in long term care. As you can see these are very different requirements even though the professionals in these states hold the same type of license. To make sure you stay in compliance, contact your department of insurance. They can cover exactly what you need to do on a yearly or bi-yearly basis. The department of insurance can also go over what you need to do if you are late on completing your continuing education requirements.

By rahul